Luminary Bakery, on a quiet north-east London backstreet, is not your typical café.
Behind the cakes and sourdough loaves is a thriving social enterprise aimed at helping women from disadvantaged backgrounds get their lives back on track.
This motive inspired The Duchess of Sussex to include the bakery in Vogue when she was a guest editor.
In return, the bakery made her a birthday cake and the Duchess thanked the social enterprise on Twitter.
A teenager found dead in Malaysia after vanishing on a family holiday had not been abducted, police say.
Nora Quoirin’s body was found beside a stream about 1.6 miles (2.5km) from the jungle resort of Dusun on Tuesday.
She died from internal bleeding probably caused by hunger and stress, a post-mortem examination revealed.
Malaysian Police said there was no suspicion the 15-year-old, who was discovered following a 10-day search, was the victim of foul play.
Nora died two or three days before she was found, the force believes.
Her unclothed body was found in an area that had previously been searched by rescuers.
She was described by her family as vulnerable having been born with holoprosencephaly, a disorder which affects brain development.
Her Irish-French parents, Meabh and Sebastian, previously said they didn’t believe she would have wandered off alone and feared she had been abducted.
Negeri Sembilan state police chief Mohamad Mat Yusop, said: “For the time being, there is no element of abduction or kidnapping.
“The cause of death was upper gastrointestinal bleeding due to duodenal ulcer, complicated with perforation.”
Further analysis would be carried out on samples taken from her body, he said, adding Nora’s family was now free to take her home.
Speaking after her body was found, Mr and Mrs Quoirin said their “hearts are broken” and paid tribute to their daughter as “the truest, most precious girl”.
They said Nora, who lived in London, had “truly touched the world” after her disappearance sparked a huge search operation and good wishes from across the globe.
A book of condolence was opened on Wednesday in Belfast, where Mrs Quoirin is from.
In a statement, the Dusun resort said it wanted to “extend support and assistance in whatever way possible to the Quoirins during these very difficult times”.
“We deeply regret that this has happened to the Quoirins during their stay here,” it said.
Nora Quoirin disappearance: Timeline
- 3 August: The Quoirins arrive at the Dusun forest eco-resort
- 4 August: Nora disappears from her room
- 5 August: The Lucie Blackman Trust says Malaysian police are treating Nora’s disappearance as a potential abduction, but officers deny any foul play is involved
- 6 August: Nora’s family say they believe she has been abducted
- 11 August: Malaysian police set up a hotline dedicated to receiving information about teenager
- 12 August: A reward of £10,000 – donated by an anonymous Belfast business – is made available for information leading to Nora’s safe return
- 13 August: A body is found in the search for Nora
A police officer is appearing on the Nigerian version of Big Brother despite bosses refusing her permission.
The Metropolitan Police said it was carrying out an internal investigation after PC Khafi Kareem went on the programme “without authority”.
Scotland Yard said the 29-year-old had been granted unpaid leave for an “unrelated reason”.
A spokesperson for Ms Kareem said she would “comment on the matter when she can.”
Television channel Africa Magic said Ms Kareem joined Big Brother Naija to “do societal good”.
A profile of Ms Kareem on its website reveals she would spend the prize money, reportedly worth 30 million naira (£68,000), on hosting a travel show in Nigeria, as well as investing in charitable causes.
The Met said Ms Kareem was granted unpaid leave for an “unrelated reason” ahead of appearing on the show but her request to take part in the programme was denied.
A spokesman said: “A PC, attached to the Met’s transformation command, requested permission to take part in a reality television entertainment show in Nigeria. Permission was not given.
“The Met is aware that the officer has since appeared on the show without authority.
“The Met does not support the officer’s appearance nor does she represent the Met whilst appearing on the show.”
The force added that any officer found to have breached police standards of professional behaviour could face misconduct proceedings.
In its statement Africa Magic added: “Police officer Khafi Kareem believes that you can have it all if you believe in yourself.
“She is not only hoping to win the prize money but she wants the exposure that being in Big Brother Naija House brings so that she can do societal good.
“What people don’t know about her is that she is secretly talented in spoken word, singing and dancing. She is an Ekiti native who resides in London.”
Ola Ince is a south Londoner who is taking London’s theatre scene by storm.
The 30-year-old has directed a host of shows in the West End including Tina the Musical.
She is also not afraid to tackle controversial subjects that ask questions about race and gender.
Ms Ince addresses these issues in her latest project at the Donmar Warehouse.
Heavy rain and strong winds are causing disruption across the UK with several yellow weather warnings in place.
The Met Office forecasts “unseasonable” conditions – with gusts of 40-50mph in west Wales, Devon and Cornwall, and parts of the Channel coast.
Motorists have been urged to avoid unnecessary travel because of poor driving conditions.
The rain warning covers Whaley Bridge, where residents were recently evacuated after a dam above the town was damaged.
Derbyshire Police said the residents, who were allowed to move home on Wednesday, would be “the first to know”. if the water in the Toddbrook Reservoir reached a “level of concern”.
Weekend thunderstorms could bring flooding, closed roads and power cuts.
A band of heavy rain followed by showers or thunderstorms has been forecast for most of the UK, triggering a rain warning for the whole of Friday.
The Met Office says 10-15mm of rain is widely expected, with as much as 30mm expected to fall in a few hours in some places.
- Fresh weather warnings after flooding in Scotland
- Alerts for rain, thunderstorms and strong winds in Wales
The wind warning covering parts of Wales and south-west and southern England lasts from 15:00 BST until midnight. A similar warning affects most of England and Wales for the whole of Saturday.
The warning of thunderstorms will last through Saturday into Sunday morning, covering Northern Ireland, most of Scotland and northern parts of England.
Neil Armstrong, chief meteorologist at the Met Office, said: “This low-pressure system will bring challenging conditions, including unseasonably strong winds and heavy rain, from the west.”
“Summer storms – compared with those in autumn and winter – always have the potential to create additional impacts because more people are likely to be outdoors, especially by the coast,” he added.
Mr Armstrong said trees in full leaf – as they were in summer – were also more vulnerable to being felled by strong winds.
Richard Leonard, head of road safety at Highways England, urged drivers to check conditions before they travelled and consider whether their journey was necessary.
“In high winds, there’s a particular risk to lorries, caravans and motorbikes so we’d advise drivers of these vehicles to slow down and avoid using exposed sections of road if possible,” he said.
“There is some fairly heavy rain and thunderstorms from Bristol, up through Wales and into Northern Ireland,” a spokesman for the Met Office said.
“That will transfer eastwards over the next few hours, causing poor driving conditions in places.”
The RNLI has warned people visiting the coast to beware of large waves and storms.
Disruption continues for rail passengers in Scotland, who faced delays on Thursday after 50mm of rain caused a tunnel to flood.
Disruption to trains between Glasgow Queen Street and Crianlarich / Oban is expected until the end of Monday and the Highland Sleeper will not run between Edinburgh and Fort William, after the line was damaged by heavy rain.
The line between Ardlui and Crainlarich will not reopen until 22 August, Network Rail said.
Summer events disrupted
The predicted 60mph winds prompted organisers of the Boardmasters music festival in Newquay to call the event off – just hours before its doors were due to open on Wednesday.
Houghton, a dance music festival in Norfolk, was also cancelled just hours before it was due to start, its “devastated” organisers announced on Facebook.
The Bristol International Balloon Fiesta has been scaled back, while the National Eisteddfod music festival in north Wales said it had “contingency plans” in place.
St Annes International Kite Festival in Lancashire has been rearranged for September because of the severe weather, Fylde Council said.
A third man has been charged with murdering a 26-year-old who was shot dead in north-west London.
Kwasi Mensah-Ababio was found with head injuries in Monks Park, Wembley, shortly after 19:00 BST on 7 July.
Taalib Rowe, 24, will appear at Willesden Magistrates’ Court on Thursday charged with murder.
Alhassan Jalloh, 20, and Karlos Gracia, 22, both of Stonebridge Park, have also been charged with Mr Mensah-Ababio’s murder.
London’s Mayor has advised planners to reject proposals for a new skyscraper.
In April, the City of London Corporation (CLC) approved the 1,000ft (305m) Tulip tower proposed for Bury Street, beside the Gherkin tower.
It argued it was “truly unique” and would increase the number of people visiting the capital at weekends.
But Sadiq Khan said a number of concerns raised in a London Review Panel report also meant the tower would harm the skyline.
Mr Khan advised CLC planners reject permission on the basis of the reasons outlined by the Panel, which included:
- The design did not constitute the very highest quality of design required for a building in the location
- The proximity, height and material would have a negative impact on the Tower of London World Heritage site
- The space around the proposed building was insufficient to be safe and to prevent overcrowding
- A lack of new cycle parking spaces failed to comply with the London Plan for transport
The London Review Panel concluded The Tulip “does not represent world class architecture, it lacks sufficient quality and quantity of public open space, and its social and environmental sustainability do not match the ambition of its height and impact on London’s skyline”.
A spokesperson for the mayor said Mr Khan “has a number of serious concerns with this application and having studied it in detail has refused permission for a scheme that he believes would result in very limited public benefit”.
The Foster + Partners-designed tower was to be built at 20 Bury Street.
The Corporation’s Planning and Transportation Committee had supported the plan by 18 votes to seven after conditions were imposed such as restricting ticket sales during peak hours.
Seven people were injured when a car was driven into them on a road in London.
Three people have been arrested on suspicion of murder after the crash in Battersea, at 23:15 BST on Saturday.
One man suffered a broken leg and six others sustained minor injuries, on Lombard Road.
Four other people are in custody on suspicion of affray after reports of a fight close to the scene, which has been cordoned off.
The Met Police is not treating the crash as terrorism-related. It is understood the group was targeted after they left a nearby hotel.
Ambulance crews were also called to the scene.
A man has been arrested on suspicion of the murders of a pregnant woman and her baby son who died days after being delivered.
Kelly Mary Fauvrelle, 26, who was eight months pregnant, was stabbed to death in her home in Croydon on 29 June.
Her son Riley was delivered by paramedics but died on 3 July.
The Metropolitan Police said a 25-year-old man had been arrested and was being held at a central London police station.
He is the third man to be arrested on suspicion of the murders.
A 37-year-old was released with no further action while a 29-year-old was bailed until a date in August.
Police were called by the London Ambulance Service at 03:30 BST to Raymead Avenue, Thornton Heath, where Ms Fauvrelle was in cardiac arrest.
Despite the efforts of paramedics, she died at the scene.
Ms Fauvrelle’s family – including her mother, two brothers, sister and sister’s baby son – were all at the home at the time of the attack and were woken by her screams. However, none of them saw her attacker.
Her son was delivered at the scene but died in hospital.
An engineering train has derailed in south London causing the closure of the Gatwick Express service.
The train partly left the tracks at low speed outside Victoria station at about 03:00 BST.
No Gatwick Express trains are running, while Southern warned its services would be “severely reduced”.
The train has moved and the track will now be “assessed for damage” and repaired if necessary through the night, according to Southern.
Disruption is expected to last throughout Tuesday but Gatwick Express and Southern said a normal service was expected on Wednesday.
The train was stuck across a number of tracks meaning platforms nine to 13 at Victoria were blocked, while services were not able to use the “slow/stopping” lines to and from Clapham Junction.
Some trains were also unable to leave the Battersea depot – further reducing the number of services that could run.
Recovery teams cut the 50-tonne train from its two wagons and lifted it back on to the track using hydraulic jacks.
Trains running through Gatwick Airport were also disrupted by a separate signalling fault and a passenger who was injured as they left a carriage, which led to one platform becoming blocked.
Some commuters took to social media as they found their trains had been cancelled.
Other stations, including London Bridge, also became congested as people tried to find alternative routes.
You may also be interested in:
A Network Rail spokesperson said passengers should travel “via London Bridge or London Blackfriars as trains will be delayed, diverted or cancelled”.
Train tickets for Southern and Gatwick Express services have been accepted for reasonable routes on other services.
Train services affected:
- Gatwick Express services are completely suspended
- Services to Sutton, Epsom Downs and Epsom to and from London Victoria are reduced
- Some mainline services will be diverted to London Bridge instead of London Victoria
- Southern services between London Victoria and Reigate are cancelled and passengers are advised to use Thameslink to and from Redhill and then Great Western Railway between Reigate and Redhill
- Services between London Victoria and East Grinstead will call additionally at Selhurst and Streatham Common
- Services between Milton Keynes and East Croydon will call additionally at Wandsworth Common when not already booked to do so
- Services between London Victoria and Horsham via Sutton will call additionally at Ewell East
- Southern trains from Sutton to London Bridge via Wimbledon will be cancelled. Thameslink will be running as normal
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways: