Four people have been charged after a man was stabbed to death in Maidstone.
The 21-year-old London man died in the town centre following a disturbance in the High Street at 03:00 BST on Sunday.
The four, also from London, have been charged with violent disorder and are due before Medway Magistrates’ Court later.
Kent Police said inquiries remained ongoing and anyone with information about the attack should contact the force.
Those charged are: Yussef Abdi Aweys, 19, of Lightfoot Road, Crouch End; Darien Thompson-Cox, 21, of Raleigh Road, Hornsey; Mohamed Abdurahman, 23, of Newland Road, Hornsey and Nathaniel Small, 22, of Boyton Road, Crouch End.
British Airways passengers have expressed their anger at being unable to get through to the airline following the confusion over cancelled flights.
BA pilots are due to strike on 9, 10 and 27 September, but BA also told customers with tickets booked on other days that their flights were cancelled.
The company admitted on Saturday that it had told some passengers to rebook or get a refund by mistake.
BA said it had received nearly 40,000 calls and was working around the clock.
After initially sending one email informing customers of cancellations, BA then sent a second email to some people saying their flights would go ahead as planned.
But in the second email, passengers were not given a link to automatically rebook onto their original flight, meaning they had to contact BA directly.
Some customers say they have spent hours trying to get in touch with BA’s customer services without success.
One woman, Josie Simpson, told the BBC she called the airline 67 times to try to rebook a family holiday to Florida.
The company’s Twitter feed has also been inundated with messages from frustrated people.
In response to one passenger, a BA representative said: “We’re extremely sorry that you’re having difficulties trying to rearrange your flights.
“Our teams have been working tirelessly to help as many of our customers as possible, in these unprecedented circumstances.”
Some customers who were told their flights were not scrapped after all have been left confused about whether their decision to accept a refund has now been cancelled.
Others have complained that they have been left out of pocket.
Ellie Kormis, from Surrey, spent the whole of Saturday trying to speak to BA after being told one of her flights for her family’s package holiday to Greece was cancelled.
She said they ended up booking new flights – which extended their holiday by three days – and extra accommodation, costing more than £2,000.
“You’re left in a situation where you can’t speak to anyone – and you fear you’ll either lose your holiday or be left out of pocket,” she said.
BA then contacted her by email to say her flight wasn’t cancelled after all.
She said it was “an epic mess up on their part”, joking that she had lost hope she would ever get through to speak to someone at BA.
Laura Gillespie, 48, from Perth, said she accepted a refund and booked new flights and trains after being told her flight from London to Edinburgh had been axed.
But she said BA now say they won’t give a refund as the flight has not been cancelled.
“I’ve now got flights booked with two different airlines going to the same place and I’m £140 down. I know it’s not a lot of money compared to some folk who have spent thousands but it’s so annoying.”
In response to customers being frustrated at not being able to get through to customer services, BA said:
- It received 38,000 calls and 33,000 tweets in first 24 hours
- Contact centres stayed open 24 hours to help resolve issues, with 70 extra staff
- Around 100 staff were working to answer Twitter queries
The British Airline Pilots Association (Balpa) said on Friday the strikes were a “last resort” born out of “enormous frustration” with airline management.
Pilots have rejected a pay increase worth 11.5% over three years, which the airline put forward in July.
BA says it carries 145,000 customers every day – with a fleet of more than 280 aircraft – and a BA plane takes off from somewhere in the world every 90 seconds.
What can I claim if my flight has been affected by the strikes?
BA advice says you can request a full refund, rebook your flight for another time in the next 355 days, or use the value of your fare to fly to a different destination.
If your flight has been cancelled because airline staff are striking, the the Civil Aviation Authority said, then this would be considered within the airline’s control, and therefore you have a legal right to either:
- A full refund, and this includes flights in the same journey that might be from a different airline (for example, an onward or return flight)
- A replacement flight to get to your destination
- Or, if you are part way through your journey and don’t want a replacement flight, you are entitled to a flight back to the airport you originally departed from
In some cases, passengers may be entitled to additional cash compensation for the inconvenience – but only if you receive notice that your flight is affected less than 14 days before departure.
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:
Drivers are being warned of hour-long delays on some roads as traffic builds over the August bank holiday weekend.
Rush-hour motorists in much of the UK awoke to early morning fog, although conditions were expected to improve.
Congestion is expected to build between 11:00 BST and 18:30 as millions take to the roads.
Rail travellers have also been warned to expect delays, with the closure of London King’s Cross and reduced services on parts of the rail network.
London North Eastern Railway (LNER) issued passengers with a “do not travel warning” for the route between London and Scotland, with the line between the capital and Peterborough closed completely for the first time in 20 years on Saturday and Sunday.
It means potential disruption for people heading to events like the Ashes at Headingley, the Leeds Festival and the Ebor Festival in York.
The RAC said the best time to travel on Friday would be after 21:00 BST. Its survey of 1,900 drivers suggested about 16.5 million journeys would be made for holidays and day trips between Friday and Monday.
23 – 26 August
11:00 – 18:30 Friday
10:30 – 14:00 Saturday
12:30 – 14:00 Sunday
12:00 – 14:30 Monday
Source: RAC/Inrix (times in BST)
A survey by tourism agency VisitEngland suggested that 8.6 million Britons were planning an overnight trip in the UK this weekend.
This is up from 7.3 million for the August bank holiday in 2018 and the most since the research began in 2012.
Among the popular events on this weekend are Notting Hill Carnival in west London; Edinburgh Fringe festival; Reading and Leeds Festivals; Manchester Pride and Creamfields, near Warrington in Cheshire.
Where will it be busiest?
All of the worst-affected routes over the bank holiday are in England, according to traffic data company Inrix. There is no bank holiday this weekend in Scotland.
Inrix said drivers should prepare for delays of about 55 minutes on Friday afternoon on the M25 anticlockwise between J4 at Bromley and J1 Swanscombe.
The M6 north between Chester and St Helens is expected to see similar delays.
Inrix said the M6 north between Cheshire and Liverpool would be likely to have 21-minute delays on Saturday afternoon, while the M25 between Gatwick Airport and the M40 could have a 26-minute delay on Sunday afternoon.
On Monday the M6 southbound between Wigan and Stafford could have delays of an hour, with traffic particularly bad at about 14:15.
Delay forecasts are based on previous summer getaways as well as planned road closures and events taking place over the weekend.
Will there be roadworks?
Highways England said most work would have been completed or lifted with 97% of motorways “free from roadworks”.
But it said more than 50 sets of roadworks would stay in place.
A spokeswoman said: “To help people have smoother journeys we have removed as many roadworks as possible, leaving only essential work in place. However, it is not possible to remove all roadworks due to safety reasons.”
The longest sets of roadworks staying in place between Friday and Monday include:
- M4 J7 to J12 (near Wokingham and Reading) – 32 miles
- M6 J13 to J15 (near Stafford) – 18 miles
- M20 J2 to J7 (near Maidstone) – 16 miles
- M27 J4 to J11 (near Southampton) – 15 miles
- M1 J13 to J15 (near Milton Keynes) – 15 miles
- M6 J2 to J4 (near Birmingham – 14 miles
Drivers heading towards Wales will also find roadworks on the M48 westbound entry slip at J1, near Aust and Chepstow.
Is my train running?
Network Rail is carrying out 448 engineering projects over the weekend, and King’s Cross station in London will be closed on Saturday and Sunday.
No trains will run in either direction between the station and Peterborough or Cambridge.
A reduced timetable will be used on the West Coast Main Line because of engineering work near Milton Keynes, with two out of four lines closed.
Virgin Trains services will be down to one per hour on most routes, and services between London Euston and Holyhead will run between Crewe and Holyhead only.
On Sunday there will be two trains per hour between London Euston and Manchester Piccadilly via Crewe and Wilmslow.
East Midlands Railway services will be replaced by buses between Nottingham and Lincoln and also between Newark North Gate and Lincoln on Saturday and Sunday.
Most LNER trains will be diverted between Doncaster and Peterborough. Replacement buses will run between Retford and Peterborough via Newark and Grantham.
All Grand Central services on Saturday and Sunday will be cancelled and Hull Trains services will be diverted to run to and from London St Pancras International.
More details can be seen on the National Rail Enquiries website.
Police surrounded flats in east London when a man barricaded himself in and threatened to blow up the block.
Nearby residents in Barking were forced to leave their homes after the man also threatened to burn down the building.
Fire and ambulance crews were called to Elsdown House, Wheelers Cross, late on Tuesday, although there were no injuries reported.
A man was later detained and was given medical treatment by paramedics at the scene, the Met Police said.
Evacuated residents, who had been told to go to The Gascoigne Community Centre, in St Ann’s, were later told they could return home.
E-scooters and e-skateboards have been riding around many of the world’s city streets.
But while some countries have welcomed them, they are illegal to ride on public roads and pavements in the UK.
Some riders are now calling for regulation rather than an outright ban.
BBC Click finds out more.
Luminary Bakery, on a quiet north-east London backstreet, is not your typical café.
Behind the cakes and sourdough loaves is a thriving social enterprise aimed at helping women from disadvantaged backgrounds get their lives back on track.
This motive inspired The Duchess of Sussex to include the bakery in Vogue when she was a guest editor.
In return, the bakery made her a birthday cake and the Duchess thanked the social enterprise on Twitter.
A teenager found dead in Malaysia after vanishing on a family holiday had not been abducted, police say.
Nora Quoirin’s body was found beside a stream about 1.6 miles (2.5km) from the jungle resort of Dusun on Tuesday.
She died from internal bleeding probably caused by hunger and stress, a post-mortem examination revealed.
Malaysian Police said there was no suspicion the 15-year-old, who was discovered following a 10-day search, was the victim of foul play.
Nora died two or three days before she was found, the force believes.
Her unclothed body was found in an area that had previously been searched by rescuers.
She was described by her family as vulnerable having been born with holoprosencephaly, a disorder which affects brain development.
Her Irish-French parents, Meabh and Sebastian, previously said they didn’t believe she would have wandered off alone and feared she had been abducted.
Negeri Sembilan state police chief Mohamad Mat Yusop, said: “For the time being, there is no element of abduction or kidnapping.
“The cause of death was upper gastrointestinal bleeding due to duodenal ulcer, complicated with perforation.”
Further analysis would be carried out on samples taken from her body, he said, adding Nora’s family was now free to take her home.
Speaking after her body was found, Mr and Mrs Quoirin said their “hearts are broken” and paid tribute to their daughter as “the truest, most precious girl”.
They said Nora, who lived in London, had “truly touched the world” after her disappearance sparked a huge search operation and good wishes from across the globe.
A book of condolence was opened on Wednesday in Belfast, where Mrs Quoirin is from.
In a statement, the Dusun resort said it wanted to “extend support and assistance in whatever way possible to the Quoirins during these very difficult times”.
“We deeply regret that this has happened to the Quoirins during their stay here,” it said.
Nora Quoirin disappearance: Timeline
- 3 August: The Quoirins arrive at the Dusun forest eco-resort
- 4 August: Nora disappears from her room
- 5 August: The Lucie Blackman Trust says Malaysian police are treating Nora’s disappearance as a potential abduction, but officers deny any foul play is involved
- 6 August: Nora’s family say they believe she has been abducted
- 11 August: Malaysian police set up a hotline dedicated to receiving information about teenager
- 12 August: A reward of £10,000 – donated by an anonymous Belfast business – is made available for information leading to Nora’s safe return
- 13 August: A body is found in the search for Nora
A police officer is appearing on the Nigerian version of Big Brother despite bosses refusing her permission.
The Metropolitan Police said it was carrying out an internal investigation after PC Khafi Kareem went on the programme “without authority”.
Scotland Yard said the 29-year-old had been granted unpaid leave for an “unrelated reason”.
A spokesperson for Ms Kareem said she would “comment on the matter when she can.”
Television channel Africa Magic said Ms Kareem joined Big Brother Naija to “do societal good”.
A profile of Ms Kareem on its website reveals she would spend the prize money, reportedly worth 30 million naira (£68,000), on hosting a travel show in Nigeria, as well as investing in charitable causes.
The Met said Ms Kareem was granted unpaid leave for an “unrelated reason” ahead of appearing on the show but her request to take part in the programme was denied.
A spokesman said: “A PC, attached to the Met’s transformation command, requested permission to take part in a reality television entertainment show in Nigeria. Permission was not given.
“The Met is aware that the officer has since appeared on the show without authority.
“The Met does not support the officer’s appearance nor does she represent the Met whilst appearing on the show.”
The force added that any officer found to have breached police standards of professional behaviour could face misconduct proceedings.
In its statement Africa Magic added: “Police officer Khafi Kareem believes that you can have it all if you believe in yourself.
“She is not only hoping to win the prize money but she wants the exposure that being in Big Brother Naija House brings so that she can do societal good.
“What people don’t know about her is that she is secretly talented in spoken word, singing and dancing. She is an Ekiti native who resides in London.”
Ola Ince is a south Londoner who is taking London’s theatre scene by storm.
The 30-year-old has directed a host of shows in the West End including Tina the Musical.
She is also not afraid to tackle controversial subjects that ask questions about race and gender.
Ms Ince addresses these issues in her latest project at the Donmar Warehouse.
Heavy rain and strong winds are causing disruption across the UK with several yellow weather warnings in place.
The Met Office forecasts “unseasonable” conditions – with gusts of 40-50mph in west Wales, Devon and Cornwall, and parts of the Channel coast.
Motorists have been urged to avoid unnecessary travel because of poor driving conditions.
The rain warning covers Whaley Bridge, where residents were recently evacuated after a dam above the town was damaged.
Derbyshire Police said the residents, who were allowed to move home on Wednesday, would be “the first to know”. if the water in the Toddbrook Reservoir reached a “level of concern”.
Weekend thunderstorms could bring flooding, closed roads and power cuts.
A band of heavy rain followed by showers or thunderstorms has been forecast for most of the UK, triggering a rain warning for the whole of Friday.
The Met Office says 10-15mm of rain is widely expected, with as much as 30mm expected to fall in a few hours in some places.
- Fresh weather warnings after flooding in Scotland
- Alerts for rain, thunderstorms and strong winds in Wales
The wind warning covering parts of Wales and south-west and southern England lasts from 15:00 BST until midnight. A similar warning affects most of England and Wales for the whole of Saturday.
The warning of thunderstorms will last through Saturday into Sunday morning, covering Northern Ireland, most of Scotland and northern parts of England.
Neil Armstrong, chief meteorologist at the Met Office, said: “This low-pressure system will bring challenging conditions, including unseasonably strong winds and heavy rain, from the west.”
“Summer storms – compared with those in autumn and winter – always have the potential to create additional impacts because more people are likely to be outdoors, especially by the coast,” he added.
Mr Armstrong said trees in full leaf – as they were in summer – were also more vulnerable to being felled by strong winds.
Richard Leonard, head of road safety at Highways England, urged drivers to check conditions before they travelled and consider whether their journey was necessary.
“In high winds, there’s a particular risk to lorries, caravans and motorbikes so we’d advise drivers of these vehicles to slow down and avoid using exposed sections of road if possible,” he said.
“There is some fairly heavy rain and thunderstorms from Bristol, up through Wales and into Northern Ireland,” a spokesman for the Met Office said.
“That will transfer eastwards over the next few hours, causing poor driving conditions in places.”
The RNLI has warned people visiting the coast to beware of large waves and storms.
Disruption continues for rail passengers in Scotland, who faced delays on Thursday after 50mm of rain caused a tunnel to flood.
Disruption to trains between Glasgow Queen Street and Crianlarich / Oban is expected until the end of Monday and the Highland Sleeper will not run between Edinburgh and Fort William, after the line was damaged by heavy rain.
The line between Ardlui and Crainlarich will not reopen until 22 August, Network Rail said.
Summer events disrupted
The predicted 60mph winds prompted organisers of the Boardmasters music festival in Newquay to call the event off – just hours before its doors were due to open on Wednesday.
Houghton, a dance music festival in Norfolk, was also cancelled just hours before it was due to start, its “devastated” organisers announced on Facebook.
The Bristol International Balloon Fiesta has been scaled back, while the National Eisteddfod music festival in north Wales said it had “contingency plans” in place.
St Annes International Kite Festival in Lancashire has been rearranged for September because of the severe weather, Fylde Council said.