A third man has been charged with murdering a 26-year-old who was shot dead in north-west London.
Kwasi Mensah-Ababio was found with head injuries in Monks Park, Wembley, shortly after 19:00 BST on 7 July.
Taalib Rowe, 24, will appear at Willesden Magistrates’ Court on Thursday charged with murder.
Alhassan Jalloh, 20, and Karlos Gracia, 22, both of Stonebridge Park, have also been charged with Mr Mensah-Ababio’s murder.
London’s Mayor has advised planners to reject proposals for a new skyscraper.
In April, the City of London Corporation (CLC) approved the 1,000ft (305m) Tulip tower proposed for Bury Street, beside the Gherkin tower.
It argued it was “truly unique” and would increase the number of people visiting the capital at weekends.
But Sadiq Khan said a number of concerns raised in a London Review Panel report also meant the tower would harm the skyline.
Mr Khan advised CLC planners reject permission on the basis of the reasons outlined by the Panel, which included:
- The design did not constitute the very highest quality of design required for a building in the location
- The proximity, height and material would have a negative impact on the Tower of London World Heritage site
- The space around the proposed building was insufficient to be safe and to prevent overcrowding
- A lack of new cycle parking spaces failed to comply with the London Plan for transport
The London Review Panel concluded The Tulip “does not represent world class architecture, it lacks sufficient quality and quantity of public open space, and its social and environmental sustainability do not match the ambition of its height and impact on London’s skyline”.
A spokesperson for the mayor said Mr Khan “has a number of serious concerns with this application and having studied it in detail has refused permission for a scheme that he believes would result in very limited public benefit”.
The Foster + Partners-designed tower was to be built at 20 Bury Street.
The Corporation’s Planning and Transportation Committee had supported the plan by 18 votes to seven after conditions were imposed such as restricting ticket sales during peak hours.
Seven people were injured when a car was driven into them on a road in London.
Three people have been arrested on suspicion of murder after the crash in Battersea, at 23:15 BST on Saturday.
One man suffered a broken leg and six others sustained minor injuries, on Lombard Road.
Four other people are in custody on suspicion of affray after reports of a fight close to the scene, which has been cordoned off.
The Met Police is not treating the crash as terrorism-related. It is understood the group was targeted after they left a nearby hotel.
Ambulance crews were also called to the scene.
A man has been arrested on suspicion of the murders of a pregnant woman and her baby son who died days after being delivered.
Kelly Mary Fauvrelle, 26, who was eight months pregnant, was stabbed to death in her home in Croydon on 29 June.
Her son Riley was delivered by paramedics but died on 3 July.
The Metropolitan Police said a 25-year-old man had been arrested and was being held at a central London police station.
He is the third man to be arrested on suspicion of the murders.
A 37-year-old was released with no further action while a 29-year-old was bailed until a date in August.
Police were called by the London Ambulance Service at 03:30 BST to Raymead Avenue, Thornton Heath, where Ms Fauvrelle was in cardiac arrest.
Despite the efforts of paramedics, she died at the scene.
Ms Fauvrelle’s family – including her mother, two brothers, sister and sister’s baby son – were all at the home at the time of the attack and were woken by her screams. However, none of them saw her attacker.
Her son was delivered at the scene but died in hospital.
An engineering train has derailed in south London causing the closure of the Gatwick Express service.
The train partly left the tracks at low speed outside Victoria station at about 03:00 BST.
No Gatwick Express trains are running, while Southern warned its services would be “severely reduced”.
The train has moved and the track will now be “assessed for damage” and repaired if necessary through the night, according to Southern.
Disruption is expected to last throughout Tuesday but Gatwick Express and Southern said a normal service was expected on Wednesday.
The train was stuck across a number of tracks meaning platforms nine to 13 at Victoria were blocked, while services were not able to use the “slow/stopping” lines to and from Clapham Junction.
Some trains were also unable to leave the Battersea depot – further reducing the number of services that could run.
Recovery teams cut the 50-tonne train from its two wagons and lifted it back on to the track using hydraulic jacks.
Trains running through Gatwick Airport were also disrupted by a separate signalling fault and a passenger who was injured as they left a carriage, which led to one platform becoming blocked.
Some commuters took to social media as they found their trains had been cancelled.
Other stations, including London Bridge, also became congested as people tried to find alternative routes.
You may also be interested in:
A Network Rail spokesperson said passengers should travel “via London Bridge or London Blackfriars as trains will be delayed, diverted or cancelled”.
Train tickets for Southern and Gatwick Express services have been accepted for reasonable routes on other services.
Train services affected:
- Gatwick Express services are completely suspended
- Services to Sutton, Epsom Downs and Epsom to and from London Victoria are reduced
- Some mainline services will be diverted to London Bridge instead of London Victoria
- Southern services between London Victoria and Reigate are cancelled and passengers are advised to use Thameslink to and from Redhill and then Great Western Railway between Reigate and Redhill
- Services between London Victoria and East Grinstead will call additionally at Selhurst and Streatham Common
- Services between Milton Keynes and East Croydon will call additionally at Wandsworth Common when not already booked to do so
- Services between London Victoria and Horsham via Sutton will call additionally at Ewell East
- Southern trains from Sutton to London Bridge via Wimbledon will be cancelled. Thameslink will be running as normal
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:
|Specsavers County Championship Division Two, Merchant Taylors’ School, Northwood (day one):|
|Middlesex 172: Malan 28; Shaw 4-33, Higgins 3-52|
|Gloucestershire 59-2: Dent 27*; Roland-Jones 2-15|
|Middlesex 0 pts, Gloucestershire 3 pts|
Josh Shaw took three prize scalps as Gloucestershire triggered a Middlesex collapse which put Division Two’s bottom club in trouble at Northwood.
Shaw removed Sam Robson (23), Dawid Malan (28) and Nick Gubbins (26) in his 4-33, and Ryan Higgins took 3-52 as his old club slipped from 98-2 to 139-8.
They were eventually bowled out for 172 before two Toby Roland-Jones wickets in reply lifted their spirits.
But Gloucestershire steadied the ship to reach 59-2 and trail by just 113.
Seamer Shaw’s performance built on his six wickets against Glamorgan in their previous game, as he claimed three of Middlesex’s top four.
His victims included Malan, whose hopes of an Ashes call-up were boosted by a career-best 199 at Derby last week.
However, he top-edged a short of a length ball and Graeme van Buuren ran in to take a fine catch.
Fan groups from Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham have called for support from Europe to demand Uefa improve access to major finals.
The four clubs contested the Champions League and Europa League finals last season but issues around ticket prices and travel prompted heavy criticism.
The fan groups hope their six-point proposal wins approval by Football Supporters Europe (FSE) on Saturday.
FSE represents fans across Europe and can take the proposals to Uefa.
Liverpool’s Spirit of Shankly Supporters’ Union, Arsenal Supporters’ Trust, Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust and Chelsea Supporters Trust believe support from FSE is vital in trying to create change.
The groups say “supporters deserve much better when the finals are played”.
What are the six proposals?
- Allocations: 80% of the total number of tickets for the finals should be made available to the supporters of the two competing teams (40% each) with the remaining 20% to be for sponsors, the football family, key stakeholders and a small general sale or ballot.
- Affordability: Pricing for the finals should be fair and affordable, with at least 45% of general admission tickets priced at the lowest category of 70 euros (2019 prices). There could be a stretch pricing policy so there is a choice for fans.
- Capacity: Only stadiums with sufficiently large capacities should be selected. This would allow more tickets to be made available for the fans of both teams as well as the football family. It is proposed the ideal capacity for a Champions League final is in the region of 75,000 or greater, and for the Europa League final in the region of 55,000 or greater.
- Accessibility and facilities: Any stadium considered must have the highest standards on accessibility for people with disabilities including travel access to the stadium. Any stadium considered must also have sufficient food and drink outlets and washrooms for all supporters, the ability to operate an e-ticketing system and not have been subject to a Uefa charge for treatment of fans or crowd management within the last 24 months at the time of selection.
- Infrastructure: Final venues should be cities with excellent transport links, including capacity to deal with many additional charter flights and, ideally, good rail links to other cities and airports within reasonable travel distance. There should also be bed space capacity to deal with an extremely high number of visitors.
- Equality: Host countries should apply no discrimination of any kind to any player or to supporters who wish to travel to the final. Countries staging finals should guarantee to abide by a human rights and equality policy that includes ensuring no discrimination or restriction on entry is applied to any player or supporter.
Liverpool secured a Champions League final win over Tottenham in Madrid on 1 June, while Chelsea claimed the Europa League with victory over Arsenal in Baku, Azerbaijan, on 29 May.
In the build-up to the finals, supporters’ groups told BBC Sport they would raise issues fans were facing early in the next season rather than wait to see how teams reaching the finals in 2019-20 were treated.
Liverpool and Tottenham were given 33,286 of the 68,000 tickets for the Madrid final, with tickets appearing on resale website Stubhub priced from 3,450 euros (£3,012).
Arsenal and Chelsea shared just 12,000 of 68,700 seats for their final, with fans highly critical of the logistical difficulties involved with getting to Baku.
The family of a heavily pregnant woman who was stabbed to death her bedroom in south London were woken by her “screams”, police have said.
Kelly Mary Fauvrelle, 26, who was eight months pregnant, died in the early hours of Saturday and her baby Riley was pronounced dead on Wednesday.
Det Ch Insp Michael Norman said Ms Fauvrelle was the victim of a “sustained and vicious attack”.
He said police were yet to establish a motive for the “double homicide”.
The Met has also released CCTV which shows a figure walking towards Ms Fauvrelle’s home at about 03:15 BST on Saturday, then running away just over 10 minutes later.
Det Ch Insp Norman, from Homicide Command, said whole Ms Fauvrelle’s family – her mother, two brothers, sister and sister’s baby son – were in the house on Raymead Avenue, Croydon, at the time of the attack.
“The family were alerted just before 3:30 in the morning by the sound of screams which was clearly Kelly,” he said.
“Kelly’s sister was the first person to go into the room, by that point there was no-one else there.”
He said police and paramedics did “everything they possibly could to try to save Kelly’s life and it was clear they were going to be unsuccessful” and then delivered the baby by Caesarean section.
Ms Fauvrelle was pronounced dead at the scene and the baby – named Riley by the family – died in hospital.
Det Ch Insp Norman said “we have to remain open minded” regarding a motive to the attack and there is a “need to build as complete a picture of Kelly as we possibly can”.
He said that Ms Fauvrelle’s bedroom was at the rear of the ground floor and there was a communal passageway so “potentially the obvious access point would be through the kitchen”.
“There is no sign of a forced entry but that does not mean, through accident, the premises were insecure,” he added.
Police said Riley’s father was not currently being treated as a suspect.
Local MP Steve Reed raised the murder in Parliament during Wednesday’s Prime Minister’s Questions and said: “The police now believe this may have been a random attack by someone unknown to the family.”
In response, Prime Minister Theresa May said “we were all shocked when we saw this terrible act”.
A 37-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder has been released with no further action, while a 29-year-old man held over the same offence was bailed until a date in August.
George Osborne and his wife Frances are divorcing, with the couple saying they will remain “good friends”.
The former chancellor, who is now editor of London’s Evening Standard, said the end of their 21-year marriage was sad but had been a mutual decision.
The couple have two teenage children.
Mr Osborne left government in 2016 after the Brexit referendum, but recently endorsed Boris Johnson’s Tory leadership bid, prompting speculation of a return to frontline politics.
The pair met at a friend’s house over Sunday lunch, before marrying in 1998.
Frances Osborne, the daughter of former Conservative cabinet minister Lord Howell, is a successful writer.
Her best-selling books include The Bolter, a biography of her great-grandmother, the English aristocrat Idina Sackville.
In a statement released on Monday, the couple said: “George and Frances Osborne have sadly decided to divorce after 21 years of marriage.
“This is a long thought-through and mutual decision. They remain good friends and jointly devoted to their wonderful children.
“For the sake of their children, they ask that the family’s privacy is respected. Neither George nor Frances will be making any comment.”
As well as editing the Evening Standard, Mr Osborne, 48, has a number of other jobs, including chairman of the Northern Powerhouse Partnership.
He stood down as MP for Tatton in Cheshire in 2017.
The UK has had its hottest day of the year, as temperatures soared across southern England.
The Met Office said Heathrow and Northolt in west London had reached 34C (93.2F) making it one of the warmest June days for about 40 years.
Friday was previously the warmest day of 2019, with temperatures reaching 30C (86F) at Achnagart in the Highlands.
A heatwave across Europe saw France record its all-time highest temperature of 45.9C (114.6F) on Friday.
People flocking to the seaside were forced to take detours after the M5 was closed in Somerset in both directions because of problems with overhead power cables.
At Glastonbury Festival in Somerset, the temperature was expected to peak at 28C (82.4F), with organisers giving away free sun cream and water to help combat the heat.
Festival-goers reported long queues, with freelance journalist Sara Spary saying it took almost an hour to refill her water bottle.
Organisers said there was “no water shortage” and the supply was “running as normal”, although it has put restrictions on showers as it usually does in hot weather. It said its 850 taps all have a ready supply of water.
The Met Office has issued yellow warnings of thunderstorms and lightning for parts of northern England and south-east Scotland for Saturday evening.
Temperatures are expected to drop overnight across the UK as cold air moves in from the Atlantic, sweeping away the humidity, said BBC forecaster Matt Taylor.
He said: “There won’t be the same humidity on Sunday but there will be sunshine at times and it will feel quite pleasant.”
He added that while central and eastern parts of the UK saw the hottest and most humid conditions on Saturday, the sunshine gave way to some storms in Northern Ireland.
“These are now pushing their way eastward to cross Scotland and the far north of England.”
Earlier, England’s most senior nurse called on people to “check in on neighbours and loved ones who can suffer the most from heat and pollen”.
Ruth May, chief nursing officer for England, also said it was important to drink plenty of water, use a high-factor sunscreen and take allergy medication if you need it.
NHS England and emergency services have also warned the public to take extra care.
It follows the death of 12-year-old Shukri Yahya Abdi, who drowned in the River Irwell in Greater Manchester on Thursday.
And animal charity the RSPCA issued advice for pet owners to help them keep their animals cool.
You can also contact us in the following ways: